HOWARD K. SCHEIN
Unit One Living/Learning Program
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
1005 West Gregory Drive
Urbana, Illinois 61801-3887
(217) 621-9401; email@example.com
- A.B. Biology, Grinnell College, Grinnell, Iowa, 1966.
M.A. Zoology, University of California,
Ph.D. Zoology, University of
Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1974.
HONORS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
- Chancellor's Academic Professional Excellence Award, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1998.
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers, 2004.
- Highly rated academic advisor, Senior Questionnaire, Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Illinois, 1977.
- Highly Rated Instructor,
University of Illinois, 1973, 1984, 1998, 1999, 2001(spring & fall),
2002, 2003, 2004 (spring & fall). 2005, 2006. 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Yonker's Memorial Scholarship, Grinnell College, 1965.
- National Science Foundation Summer Fellowship, Pacific Marine Station, 1965.
- Adjunct Associate Professor - Department of Educational Organization and Leadership
- Adjunct Assistant Professor - Department of Educational Organization and Leadership
- Director - Unit One Living/Learning Program, an academic program in a university residence hall, University of Illinois, 1978-2008.
- Assistant Director of Housing for Academic Programs - University of Illinois, 1979-
- Swim Coach - University of Illinois Laboratory High School,
- Assistant Professor - Department of Educational Psychology, University of Illinois, 1989-1996.
- Visiting Assistant Professor - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, 1977-78. Unit One/Living Learning, 1978-83.
- Associate Director - Unit One/Living Learning, 1976-78.
- Advising Assistant -University of Illinois, Individual Plans of Study (Interdisciplinary majors within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences), 1972-76; School of Life Sciences, 1975-76.
- Teaching Assistant - University of California, 1967; University of Illinois, 1968-73.
- Research Assistant - University of California, 1966-68.
- Member - Undergraduate Living and Learning Communities Advisory
- Member - Center for Writing Studies Advisory Committee, 2000-present.
- Member - Campus Academic Advising Commission advisor training workshop committee, 1991-2000.
- Book Review Editor - NACADA Journal, The Journal of the National Academic Advising Association, 1995-2001.
- Editor - NACADA Journal, The Journal of the National Academic Advising Association, 1989-1995.
- Member - University of Illinois Council on Undergraduate Education Working Group on Undergraduate Advising, 1995.
- Member - University of Illinois Council on Undergraduate Education Committee on Small Learning Environments, 1995.
- Member - College of Education, Department of Special Education Task Force to Review University Primary School. 1993-1994.
- Member - Board of Directors, National Academic Advising Association. 1989-1995.
- Member - American College Personnel Association (ACPA) Commission III Task Force: Minority Programming in Residence Halls. 1988-89. Co-chair.
- Editor - Living/Learning Center Network Newsletter. 1988-1992.
- Member - Council on Undergraduate Education, UIUC. 1989-1991.
- Member -NACADA Journal, The Journal of the National Academic Advising Association, editorial board. 1988-1990.
- Member - George A. Miller Lecture Series Committee, UIUC. (An all-campus committee that coordinates an endowed lecture series for the campus and the community.) 1987-1989.
- Member - University Senate Ad Hoc Committee on Improving the Quality of Undergraduate Education. Subcommittee on the Quality of Advising. 1986-1987.
- Member -Student Affairs Video Committee, UIUC. 1983-1988 Chair, 1987-1988.
- Member - Professional Advisory Committee to the Chancellor, UIUC. 1983-1984.
Minister - Universal Life Church,
1969 - Present.
- National Academic Advising Association (NACADA)
- Association of University Housing Officers-International (ACUHO-I)
Oracle Corporationís Oracle in the Community grant to fund the Leal School Computer Education Project
Schein, H., Laff, N.S., & Allen, D. R. (2004). Giving advice to students: A
road map for college professionals (R. Robbins, Ed.) [Monograph No. 11].
Manhattan, KS: National Academic Advising Association.
Schein, H.K., Laff, N.S., & Allen, D.R. (1987). Giving Advice to Students: A Roadmap for College Professionals. American College Personnel Association, Alexandria, VA.
- Schein, H.K. & changing editors: Laff, N.S.,Talbot, P.C., Miller, T.A., Bowers, P., Mabokela, R., Miller, S., Sacher, J. (yearly editions, 1984 through
Academic Advising Referral Handbook. The Housing Division and Unit One, University of Illinois.
Schein, H.K. with Dweck, C.S. (In Press).
Developing swimming talent through a growth mindset. American Swimming
Magazine. Volume 2010, Issue 8. 16-26.
Henry, K. B. & Schein, H.K. (1998). Academic community in residence halls: What differentiates a hall with a living/learning program? The Journal of College and University Student Housing., 27(2), 9-13.
- Schein, H.K. & Laff, N.S. (1997). Working with undecided students: A hands on strategy. NACADA Journal 17(1), 42-48.
- Schein, H.K. (1996). Hiking tip. In Backpacker's Trailside Companion: Reader hints and tips.
Emmanus, PA: Rodale Press. p.13.
Schein, H.K. (1995). University residence halls in the academic-advising process. In Academic Advising as a Comprehensive Campus Process, Robert E.Glennen and Faye N. Vowell, Eds. National Academic Advising Association Monograph Series, Number 2, p. 115-120.
Schein, H.K. & Bowers, P.M. (1992). Using living learning centers to provide integrated campus services for freshmen. Journal of the Freshman Year Experience, 4(1), 59-77.
- Laff, N.S., Schein, H.K., & Allen, D.R. (1987). Teaching, advising, and student development: Finding the common ground. NACADA Journal, 7(1), 9-15.
Schein, H.K. (1987, January). Using residence halls in the academic advising process: Three Big-Ten models. ERIC Clearinghouse on Counseling and Personnel Services, Resources in Education, (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 272781).
Schein, H.K., Biggers, D., & Reese, V. (1986). The role of university residence halls in the academic advising process, NACADA Journal, 6(2), 67-76.
Schein, H.K. (1981). Facilitating students' solutions to students' problems, GLACUHO Trends, 3(9), 15.
Schein, H.K. (1981). Unit One: A working model for a university campus living/learning center. Journal of College and University Student Housing, 11, 35-39.
Schein, H.K. (1981). Unit One. GLACUHO Trends, 243, 17.
Schein, H.K. (1981). An apparatus for glazing large platters. Ceramics Monthly, 29, 68-69.
Schein, H.K. (1977). The role of snapping in Alpheus heterochaelis Say, the Big-Clawed Snapping Shrimp, Crustaceana, 33, 182-188.
Schein, H.K. (1975). Aspects of the aggressive and sexual behavior of Alpheus heterochaelis Say, Mar. Behav. Physiol., 3, 83-96.
Schein, H.K. (1974). An alternative introductory zoology course for non-majors, AIBS Education Review, 3, 9-ll.
Schein, H. (2007). Featured book and video review of Declining
by Degrees: Higher Education at Risk. Hersh, Richard H. & Merrow,
John. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
NACADA Journal, 27
Schein, H.K. (1998). Documentary film review of Frosh: Nine Months in a Freshman Dorm and Seniors: Four Years in Retrospective. Geller, Dan and Goldfine, Dana. NACADA Journal, 18(2), 56-57.
Bush, L.A. & Schein, H.K. (1989). Book review of A thinking student's guide to college. Cahn, Victor L. NACADA Journal, 9(2), 122-124.
Bush, L.A. & Schein, H.K. (1989). Book review of How to grade your professors. Neusner, Jacob. NACADA Journal, 9(2), 122-124.
Schein, H.K. (1988). Book review of Responding to the needs of today's minority students. Wright, Doris J., ed., NACADA Journal, 8(2), 87-89.
Schein, H.K. (1988). Book review of Helpful hints for advising and counseling minority students in predominantly white colleges and universities. Jackson, George A., NACADA Journal, 8(2), 87-89.
Schein, H.K. (1988). Book review of College is only the beginning: A student guide to higher education. Gardner, J.N. and Jewler, A. J. eds., NACADA Journal, 8(1),
Schein, H.K. (1987). Book review of Careerism and intellectualism among college students. Katchadourian, H.A. NACADA Journal, 7(1): 91-92.
Schein, H.K. & Laff, N.S. (1984-1985). The Academic Advisor, A 30 part weekly series of articles in the Daily Illini, the student newspaper at the University of Illinois.
M.A. Reproductive Behavior of the Central American Cichlid Fish, Cichlasoma spilurum, 1966.
Ph.D. Agonistic Behavior of the Big-Clawed Snapping Shrimp, 1974.
SEMINARS AND PAPERS PRESENTED
Student groups as a feature of living-learning centers. Annual Conference on Residential Colleges and Living/Learning Communities, Charlottesville, VA. March 1995. (presented with 8 students)
Living/Learning Centers: Mature Models. Annual Conference on Residential Colleges and Living/Learning Centers. Kirksville, MO. March, 1992.
Smart Students, Random Choices, Scholars' Convocation, Grinnell College, Grinnell, Iowa. September, 1991.
Writing/Publishing Workshops for New Advisors and Others, Pre-conference Workshop.
The National Academic Advising Association Annual Conferences on Academic Advising, with Ed Danis, 1989. Marilyn Zagora,
Anaheim, 1990. Elizabeth Creamer and John L. Bennett, Louisville, 1991. Elizabeth Creamer and John L. Bennett, Atlanta, 1992, Elizabeth Creamer and John L. Bennett, Detroit, 1993; Elizabeth Creamer and John L. Bennett, Las Vegas, 1994; Elizabeth Creamer and John L. Bennett, Nashville, 1995.
Beyond course selection: Advising through educational
programming, with Robert Copeland and John Fiore. The National Academic Advising Association 12th Conference on Academic Advising, Miami, 1988.
Minority Focused Programs in Residence Halls: Making Programs
Work, with Lenita Epinger and Barbara Stewart. Meetings of the American College Personnel Association, Miami, 1988.
The Self-Directed Student Confronts the Myth of the Academic
Major, with N.S. Laff. Meetings of the American College Personnel Association, Chicago, 1987.
The Myth of the Academic Major: A model for combining academic and student affairs in the advising
arena, The National Academic Advising Association 10th Conference on Academic Advising, Seattle, 1986.
An Advising Column in a Student Newspaper, and
An Academic Advising Referral Handbook, Idea Exchange Presentation, The National Academic Advising Association 10th Conference on Academic Advising, Seattle, 1986.
Producing and Using Campus Video Capabilities as a Student Affairs Tool: Orientation and
Education, with Tom Seals. Meetings of The American College Personnel Association, New Orleans, 1986.
The Use of Residence Halls in the Academic Advising
Process, Meetings of the American College and University Housing Officers - International, Milwaukee, 1985.
Using Residence Halls in the Academic Advising
Process, Midwest Conference of Academic Affairs Administrators, Terre Haute, IN, 1985.
Utilizing University Residence Hall Systems in the Academic Advising
Process, with D. Biggers and V. Reese. The National Academic Advising Association, 8th Conference on Academic Advising, Philadelphia, 1984.
Advising Undergraduates at the University of
Illinois, a workshop for undergraduate advisors, sponsored by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. Program co-coordinator. Urbana, IL, 1984.
Student Perceptions of Student Problems, Meeting of the Big-Ten Counseling Centers, Ann Arbor, MI, 1984.
Unit One: A Model for Living/Learning Centers, Illinois ACUHO, Monticello, IL 1982.
Minority Concerns in Today's Residence Halls, with L. Epinger. Meetings of the American College and University Housing Officers--International, Tampa, l982, and Meetings of Illinois ACUHO, 1982, 1983, 1984.
Problems Associated with Interdisciplinary
Study, Illinois Environmental Education Conference, Urbana, IL
An Analysis of the Agonistic Behavior of the Big-Clawed Snapping Shrimp, Alpheus
heterochaelis, National Meetings of the Animal Behavior Society, Urbana, IL, 1974.
The Power of Partnerships: Some things I've learned in the past 30 years.
2007 Conference on Living Learning Programs and Residential
Colleges, St. Louis, October, 2007.
A Liberal Education at
Living/Learning Programs. with Laura Haber. Eight Conference on Living
Learning Programs and Residential Colleges, Bloomington, IN. November 2004.
- Four Seasoned LLC Administrators Share Their Thoughts: Where have we come
from and where can we go. with David Schoem, Carl Zeigler, Nancy
Shapiro. Seventh Conference on Living Learning Programs and Residential
Colleges, Columbus, OH. November 2002.
The Critical Junction: Where Student Affairs & Academic Affairs Meet. Annual Conference on Residential Colleges and Living/Learning Centers, Tempe, AZ. April, 1997.
- The College Experience
- Major Myths of Undergraduate Education: The Universityís Structure, Its Function, and You
- Survey Research in Student Development
- Program Development for Resident Advisors
- Survey Research in Psychology
- Decision-making and Evaluation
- Introductory Biology
- Introductory Zoology
- Animal Behavior
- Laboratory in Animal Behavior
OUTSIDE INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES
- Backpacking, River running, Camping
- Studio Pottery